2018 Science Bowl Volunteer Information
Get the Latest News for Volunteers Here!
Thank you again for volunteering for the Science Bowl. It is a rewarding experience that is hard to replicate! The following information is for volunteers of the High School and Middle School Science Bowl events. The same information applies for both events.
Saturday, February 17, 2018 – High School Event
Saturday, March 10, 2018 – Middle School Event
Where to Meet
- Meet at the ASU West Campus in the Sands Building Courtyard
When to Arrive
- Moderators, Rules Judges, Scientific Judges, Timekeepers, Scorekeepers and Room Monitors arrive at 8:00 AM for the training session in the Kiva Lecture Hall
- Setup Crew arrives at 7:00 AM
- Volunteer Registration – most volunteers please arrive at 8:00 AM for volunteer training
- Volunteer Registration Desk – please arrive by 7:45 AM
We will have coffee and snacks when you arrive! Lunch and snacks are provided for all volunteers, student participants and their coaches.
Directions & Parking
- Location: ASU West Campus – 4701 W Thunderbird Rd, Glendale, AZ 85306
- Because it’s Saturday, you may park for free in any parking area! It will be best to park in the North or South Zone parking areas. View the Parking Map here
- The Opening Ceremony will be held in the University Center Building (UCB) in La Sala Ballroom
- Starting at 10 AM, the event will move to the Sands Building where the teams will break out for their competition rounds
What to Wear
- Business Casual for Moderators, “Smart” casual for everyone else
- Please wear good walking shoes as we will be on our feet for a while!
- We will have Science Bowl polo shirts for all volunteers to wear
When you arrive
- Check-in at Volunteer Sign-in table
- Moderators, Scorekeepers, Timekeepers and Rules Judges should go to the Volunteer Training Session in the Kiva from 8 to 9 AM
- The Round Robins start at 10 AM following the announcements
|Opening Program – La Sala in UCB Building||9:00 AM|
|Introduction by Shashi Jasthi, President & CEO, Solugenix Corporation|
|Q&A and Announcements|
|Round Robin Match 1 – Sands Classrooms||9:30 AM|
|Round Robin Match 2 – Sands Classrooms||10:00 AM|
|Round Robin Match 3 – Sands Classrooms||10:30 AM|
|Round Robin Match 4 – Sands Classrooms||11:00 AM|
|Round Robin Match 5 – Sands Classrooms||11:30 AM|
|Round Robin Match 6 – Sands Classrooms||12:00 PM|
|Announcements – La Sala||1:30 PM|
|Double Elimination- Block 1 – Sands Classrooms||2:00 PM|
|Double Elimination- Block 2 – Sands Classrooms||2:30 PM|
|Double Elimination- Block 3 – Sands Classrooms||3:00 PM|
|Double Elimination- Block 4 – Kiva||3:30 PM|
|Double Elimination- Block 5 – Kiva||4:00 PM|
|Double Elimination- Block 6 – Kiva||4:30 PM|
|Awards Ceremony – La Sala||5:00 PM|
*Times are subject to change
Morning Round Robin Competition
Round Robin/Elimination: There are four or three teams assigned to a classroom. Each team will play each other in the following order:
Rooms with 4 Teams
Rooms with 3 Teams
|Round Robin Match 1||
|Round Robin Match 2||
|Round Robin Match 3||
|Round Robin Match 4||
|Round Robin Match 5||
|Round Robin Match 6||
Afternoon Double Elimination
Double Elimination: Teams move to challenger bracket after one loss and it is not until after a second loss, that a team is eliminated.
Please note: If the Winner of Match I loses against the Winner of Match M during match N, there must be another round. Since it will be that team’s first loss, they will get the opportunity to play one additional round.
Double Elimination Schedule
|Block 1||Block 2||Block 3||Block 4||Block 5||Block 6|
|2:00 PM||2:30 PM||3:00 PM||3:30 PM||4:00 PM||4:30 PM|
|Match A||Match E||Match I||Match L||Match M||Match N|
|Match B||Match F||Match J|
|Match C||Match G||Match K|
|Match D||Match H|
For the first three blocks, matches occur simultaneously.
Competition Room Setup
In each room there will be one Moderator, Rules Judge and/or Scientific Judge, Scorekeeper, Timekeeper
2018 Official Competition Rules
if you are a Rules Judge or Moderator, please read the Official Competition Rules.
If you have any questions regarding what your volunteer role, please contact Crystal Kolosick or Phillip Howell.